John Fries Memorial Prize 2013 Finalists Exhibition
24 August 2013 - 14 September 2013
The 2013 John Fries Memorial Prize was won by Jess Olivieri and Hayley Forward for their collaborative video work Harlequins Vs Visitors which the judges described as directly reflecting the spirit of the Prize.
The judges also chose two highly commended works – Chris Bennie’s video work The Western Fields and George Egerton-Warburton’s video work Boredom is a desk with human legs in a fish spa.
The winning and highly commended works were on show along with the other 19 incredible finalists at Gaffa Galleries in Sydney from 24 August – 14 September.
The John Fries Memorial Prize 2013 Finalists are:
- Lucas Abela, FlipOff
- Aaron Anderson, Suburban Ruin #5
- Svetlana Bailey, 13/11
- Maureen Baker, Ngayuku Mamaku Ngura (My Father’s Country)
- Ella Barclay, Ebb
- Chris Bennie, The Western Fields
- Serena Bonson, Wangarra Spirits
- Sarah Contos, Souvenir
- Keg De Souza, Living Under The Stars
- John A Douglas, The Visceral Garden
- Sophia Egarchos, Levels #2
- George Egerton-Warburton, Boredom is a desk with human legs in a fish spa
- Benjamin Forster, Dysgraphia
- Dara Gill, Untitled (Rubber Band Portraits)
- Greedy Hen, We Just Ignore the Neighbours
- Samuel Hodge, Tickets Still Available
- Simon MacEwan, All that is solid melts into air
- Vincent Namatjira, Award
- Liam O’Brien, Whistling in the Dark
- Jess Olivieri & Hayley Forward, Harlequins V’s Visitors
- Tom Polo, Fields of Uncertainty
- Bryden Williams, Techno Fire
2013 Guest Curator and Judges
We were very fortunate to have Sebastian Goldspink as the guest curator for the 2013 John Fries Memorial Prize for emerging visual artists. Our four judges for the 2013 Prize were Dr Daniel Mudie Cunningham, Felicity Fenner, Dr Sanné Mestrom and Kath Fries.